Baccio da Montelupo: School of the Future
The Baccio da Montelupo comprehensive school (Baccio) near Florence aimed to completely update its processes with the technological advancements available through mobile computing. One junior secondary school class was transformed into a multimedia schoolroom when Intel provided Samsung Ativ* Smart PC tablets, powered by Intel® Atom™ processors, for students. The school achieved a much more engaging and collaborative learning environment for the class and stimulated more active learning in the students. It hopes to build out this model across more classes to achieve its vision of a school of the future.
• Innovate teaching. Most teachers struggled to update teaching methods and integrate new technology into their lessons and found it hard to test new collaborative teaching methods
• Beyond paper. Lots of paper is processed and wasted in a school environment, so Baccio wanted to save time and resources by transitioning to using more digital assets
• Student collaboration. In a traditional, static classroom, students often lost concentration and didn’t work well in group situations due to a lack of stimuli, creative license and familiar technological solution
• Student engagement. Students are given the freedom to work proactively, organize their time and collaborate in class and are reacting well to being trusted with the responsibility of a smart device
• Empowered staff. Thanks to Intel® Teach, staff at Baccio are up to date and trained to use and teach with mobile and collaborative technology
• Environmental benefit. Increasing the use of digital assets reduces environmental impact and, according to Baccio’s own experience, improves cost efficiency in terms of staff time, supplies, and printing costs
Read the full Baccio da Montelupo: School of the Future Case Study.