As part of Thunderbolt™ certification, mandatory testing ensures broad compatibility across Mac*, Windows*, or Chrome* OS, and interoperability of computers, cables, and accessories from different brands, so you can be confident that your devices work well together regardless of the OS or hardware manufacturer.
What is Thunderbolt™ Technology?
Simplicity, Reliability, and Performance Distinguish Thunderbolt™ as the Best USB-C
A single Thunderbolt™ port enables high-speed data transfer, video output, and power delivery to compatible devices over one cable, including charging a laptop3.
Unlike other USB Type-C ports, where the bandwidth may be limited, Thunderbolt™ ports always guarantee 40 Gbps total bandwidth dynamically allocated for video and data. Thunderbolt™ is so fast you can transfer a 5 GB file in about a second over the cable.
Enjoy low-latency gaming, immersive creation, and simplified productivity with Thunderbolt™ technology that supports multiple premium monitors of any type4, such as two FHD 240Hz or 4K color-accurate monitors.
Thunderbolt™ 4 certification requires at least one Thunderbolt port on the computer to support laptop charging3, unlike laptops featuring other USB-C ports that don’t guarantee system charging. Additionally, all Thunderbolt™ 3 and 4 ports provide 15W power to Thunderbolt accessories or to charge companion devices like cell phones.
USB 3 / DP
|40 Gbps bandwidth|
|15W power to run accessories|
|Mandatory testing and certification|
|2 x 4K/60Hz monitors|
|Required PC charging3 on at least one computer port|
|Universal 40Gbs cables up to 2m|
|Up to 4 Thunderbolt™ ports on accessories|
|System wake from sleep|
|Intel® VT-d based DMA protection|
Real Life Usage Videos
Thunderbolt™ Technology has many use cases such as working, creating, or gaming. Watch the videos on how Thunderbolt™ Technology could help enhance your experience.
Work and Learn
Effortlessly upgrade your workspace experience to boost productivity and ergonomic comfort by adding a Thunderbolt™ dock that connects large 4K monitors and other accessories to your laptop. Whether at home or at office, Thunderbolt™ technology works anywhere for a universal connection you can rely on regardless of manufacturer brand.
Use Case Videos
Thunderbolt™ Technology can provide many benefits such as flexibility, bandwidth, and versatile connectivity that allows you to use up to two 4K monitors through one port. See firsthand how the experts have implemented Thunderbolt™ Technology in their lives through the videos.
Check out which type of ports your system has by:
- Looking for the Thunderbolt™ icon on devices (next to the USB-C port).
- Checking the product’s I/O specification online to see if it lists Thunderbolt™ ports.
- Downloading Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) to detect what ports you have on your PC.
No. You don’t need to install any software or drivers to make things work. Connect your computer with any Thunderbolt™ accessory, and they simply work together.
- Thunderbolt™ 4 technology became integrated in the CPU starting with 11th Gen Intel® Core™ processors. Today, approximately 90% of 11th gen Intel Core processor-based laptops have Thunderbolt™ ports.
- At least one Thunderbolt™ 4 port is required on all Intel® Evo™ and Intel® Core™ vPro® processor family-based laptops.
- Look for the Thunderbolt™ icon on your PC (next to the USB-C port) or check the product I/O specification for Thunderbolt technology.
- USB-C stands for the USB connection with compact Type-C ports.
- Thunderbolt™ is the top-of-the-line solution within the USB-C family.
- While the shape of all USB Type-C ports is the same, the performance, display and power capabilities, and connection experiences, differ significantly.
- Thunderbolt™ technology offers a truly universal, reliable, and high-performance one cable solution regardless of computer or accessory brand.
Thunderbolt™ 4 technology increases minimum performance requirements, expands end-to-end solution capabilities, and is USB4 specification compliant. Specific improvements on Thunderbolt™ 4 (over Thunderbolt 3) include the following:
- Thunderbolt™ 4 technology raises the minimum required PCIe bandwidth (up to 32Gbps) to enable high-speed data transfers.
- Docks and monitors can have more Thunderbolt™ ports (up to 4) to simplify the modern workspace.
- For thin and light notebooks that require less than 100W to charge, at least one computer port is required to support charging.
- Laptops with Thunderbolt™ 4 ports connected to Thunderbolt docks wake up with a touch of the keyboard or mouse even when the lid is closed.
- Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (Intel® VT-d) based security helps prevent peripheral devices from unauthorized access to system memory.
- Laptop Thunderbolt™ ports have more power (15W) available to run accessories.
- Universal Thunderbolt™ cables offer 40 Gbps and are up to 2 m to make cable selection fast and easy.
Performance is based on minimum specification requirements by Thunderbolt certification. Performance varies by use, configuration and other factors. Learn more at www.Intel.com/PerformanceIndex.
Intel technologies may require enabled hardware, software or service activation.
No product or component can be absolutely secure.
Your costs and results may vary.
© Intel Corporation. Intel, the Intel logo, Thunderbolt and the Thunderbolt logo and other Intel marks are trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries. Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
Informações de produto e desempenho
Os CES Innovation Awards são baseados em materiais descritivos enviados aos jurados. A CTA não verificou, a exatidão de qualquer envio ou de qualquer pedido feito e não testou o item para o qual o prêmio foi concedido.